I really wanted to like this recipe but we just weren't crazy about it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The sauce was very strong and the meatballs were good, but not great.
Basil Chicken Meatballs with Ponzu Sauce
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 meatballs and 1 tablespoon sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 194
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Carbohydrate: 9.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 544mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- Additional ingredients:
- Small basil leaves (optional)
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. To prepare meatballs, combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; shape mixture into 16 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 8 meatballs to pan, and cook for 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove meatballs from pan, and arrange on the rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with the remaining 8 meatballs.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes or until done.
- 5. To prepare the sauce, combine soy sauce, basil leaves, green onions, juices, 1 1/2 teaspoons water, mirin, and red pepper in a small bowl. Serve sauce with meatballs. Garnish with basil leaves and additional chopped green onions, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes