More From Sunset
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 99%
- Protein: 0.6g
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 0.7g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Dunk basil leaves into the boiling water for 20 seconds. Drain and squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- 2. In a blender, whirl blanched basil leaves with olive and canola oils. Empty into a measuring cup or small pitcher and reserve.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk in a drop of the basil oil; continue adding drops of oil, whisking until mixture thickens to a mayonnaise-like consistency. Continuing to whisk, pour in remaining basil oil in a very thin stream. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per tablespoon.
If you are concerned about salmonella or bacteria in raw eggs, use 1/2 cup pasteurized whole eggs (available at some grocery stores) in place of the egg yolks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note