More From Sunset
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 99%
- Protein: 0.6g
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 0.7g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Dunk basil leaves into the boiling water for 20 seconds. Drain and squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- 2. In a blender, whirl blanched basil leaves with olive and canola oils. Empty into a measuring cup or small pitcher and reserve.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk in a drop of the basil oil; continue adding drops of oil, whisking until mixture thickens to a mayonnaise-like consistency. Continuing to whisk, pour in remaining basil oil in a very thin stream. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per tablespoon.
If you are concerned about salmonella or bacteria in raw eggs, use 1/2 cup pasteurized whole eggs (available at some grocery stores) in place of the egg yolks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers