I've made this recipe a few times now and it's always a hit. I made it for my cousin's graduation party and everyone said it tasted better than the graduation cake! You absolutely must use the almond extract and proper cake mix. They make a big difference. I also add a little extra vanilla extract because I just love vanilla extract. I've always used butter cream frosting, but I am going to try cream cheese frosting this time because I'm also making red velvet cupcakes and I'm just too lazy to make two different types of frosting :p
Basic White Cupcakes
Enhance a white cake mix with buttermilk, butter and flavoring extracts for this basic white cupcake. Then add whatever frosting and topping you are in in the mood for. We went for Coconut Buttercream and flaked coconut for these stunning Coconut Cupcakes.
More From Southern Living
Other: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package white cake mix with pudding
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1. Beat first 6 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer just until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 2 minutes or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.
- 2. Place paper baking cups in muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter evenly into baking cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to wire racks, and cool 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Coconut Cupcakes: Prepare Basic White Cupcakes as directed. Spread evenly with Coconut Buttercream, and sprinkle with sweetened flaked coconut.
We call for using a mixer, but you can stir these together by hand with great results. Because the mixer adds more air to the batter, you'll end up with 17 cakes rather than 24 when you stir them by hand. For testing purposes only, we used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White Cake Mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note