Basic White Bread
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Melted butter or margarine
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Stir well; cover and let stand at room temperature 5 minutes or until bubbly. Combine yeast mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt, oil, and half the flour in a large mixing bowl. Beat mixture at low speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a floured surface; let rest 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 14- x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning at narrow edge, roll up dough; press firmly to eliminate air pockets. Pinch edges to seal. Place dough, seam side down, in a well greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove bread from pan immediately; cool on wire rack. Brush with melted butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note