Bake this at 325 degrees. The time depends on pan kind and size. I'm making a bunt dark pan and going to check it after 30 min with a tooth pick. And then every 5 min after that. I would imagine cupcakes would take a little shorter baking time and should be checked after 15 min.
Basic Vanilla Cake Batter
More From Southern Living
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until yellow disappears after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
- 2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at medium-low speed just until blended after each addition. (Batter will be thick.) Use immediately.
- Ultimate Vanilla Cake Batter: Substitute 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste for vanilla extract. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Chocolate Cake Batter: Reduce cake flour to 2 cups. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 1. Whisk 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa into flour mixture in Step 2; proceed with recipe as directed. Beat 1/3 cup hot water into batter just until smooth.
Add an additional 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract if you do not have almond extract.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note