If you use cake flour, vanilla paste, and fresh, good eggs, this is a fantastic cake! You really need to use real butter as well. The Irish or European butter is great. This recipe exposes any short cut, and rewards good ingredients!!
Basic Vanilla Cake Batter
More From Southern Living
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until yellow disappears after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
- 2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at medium-low speed just until blended after each addition. (Batter will be thick.) Use immediately.
- Ultimate Vanilla Cake Batter: Substitute 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste for vanilla extract. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Chocolate Cake Batter: Reduce cake flour to 2 cups. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 1. Whisk 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa into flour mixture in Step 2; proceed with recipe as directed. Beat 1/3 cup hot water into batter just until smooth.
Add an additional 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract if you do not have almond extract.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts