Basic Tomato Sauce
This recipe goes with Cheese-and-Sausage Mini Pizzas
More From Southern Living
Cool: 15 Minutes
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes (about 6 medium tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Sauté onion in hot oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic, thyme, and red pepper, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- 2. Stir in basil and next 4 ingredients, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 15 minutes.
- 3. If desired, pulse tomato mixture, in batches, in a food processor 3 to 4 times or to desired consistency. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed. Place sauce in an airtight container. Freeze sauce up to 3 months.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This