Basic Southern Collards
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 bunch(es) fresh collards (approx. 5 lbs)
- 6 strips bacon diced
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 1 ham bone
- Wash the collards, breaking up the bunches as you go. Remove any tough or woody stalks. Cut the leaves into half-inch-wide strips. You can roll them into cigars to speed this process up.
- Put the bacon in a large pot on high heat to render its grease. Cook for three or four minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, but not very brown, about 5 minutes more. Add the collards and cover with cool water. Also add the seasonings and the ham bone. Cook collards until tender, which may be up to 2 hours.
- Even people who love collards complain about how they make the house smell while cooking. People have different cures for this, but none of them work. Just open the windows.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by 8stringfan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Basic Southern Collards Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables