This is my 'go to' shortbread recipe, curtesy of the folks at King Arthur's Flour. This works well in shortbread molds, springerle molds, cookie molds or with cookie stamps. I prefer almond extract in mine, but other extracts can be substituted.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) almond extract
- 2 1/3 cup(s) unbleached all purpose flour (KAFs)
- 1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease 2 9" pans, or shortbread molds, or individually shaped cookie molds.
- 2.Cream butter, salt, sugar and extracts until well blended, then beat in the flour. Divide the dough between the cake pans or molds. Press in the dough down firmly and using your fingers and/or a measuring cup smooth out the dough to an even thickness. Prick the dough with a fork or cake tester in an attractive pattern.
- 3.Bake shortbread 35 to 40 minutes, until it is golden around the edges. Remove it from the oven and loosen the edges with a heat-resistant plastic knife or table knife. Wait about 5 minutes, then carefully turn the shortbread out onto a clean work surface, all in one piece.
- 4. Using a pizza wheel, baker's bench knife, or a sharp kitchen knife, cut each round into 12 wedges, or cut along the markings of the shortbread mold, if using. (Note: do this while the shortbread is still warm; if you wait until it's cool, it won't cut neatly.) Transfer pieces to a rack to cool.
- Serving Ideas: Serve with lemon (or lime) curd, or a good quality jam. Another option is to dip the bottom of the shortbread in some melted bittersweet chocolate.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by harpette and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Basic Shortbread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cookies