great recipe. make most all pizzas homemade.
Basic Pizza Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 42.2g
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 7.3mg
- Sodium: 953mg
- Calcium: 201mg
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in wine; cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, oregano, pepper, and tomatoes. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in basil and vinegar. Cool.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is for 1 1/3 cups Basic Pizza Sauce.
- Spicy Pizza Sauce Variation: Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper with the oregano and black pepper; omit basil. Yield: 1 1/3 cups.
- (Totals are for 1 1/3 cups Spicy Pizza Sauce.) CALORIES 206 (2% from fat); FAT 0.4g (sat 0.1g, mono 0.1g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 9.6g; CARB 42.6g; FIBER 10.3g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 7.3mg; SODIUM 953mg; CALC 199mg
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare the sauce a day or two ahead and refrigerate it, or make a double batch and freeze the extra for up to one month.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Basic Pizza Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This