Really good pizza dough, and easy to pull together.
Basic Pizza Dough
Reviewers say this basic pizza dough recipe makes the best crust they've ever eaten. So the next time you're in the mood for pizza, make your own. Use the crust recipe as is or add mix-ins to customize it. Don't worry about rolling the dough into a perfect circle.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 1155
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 33.8g
- Carbohydrate: 242.5g
- Fiber: 10.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 14.3mg
- Sodium: 1195mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- Dissolve the honey and yeast in 3/4 cup warm water in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 cups flour and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If the indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a rimless baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Lightly spray surface of dough with cooking spray, and cover with plastic wrap. Place the dough in refrigerator for up to 30 minutes. Bake according to recipe directions.
- Wheat Germ Dough: Replace 1/4 cup all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ.
- Asian Dough: Add 2 teaspoons raw sesame seeds.
- Herb Dough: Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (use a mix of herbs or just one, such as basil or oregano).
- Nutty Dough: Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Cheese Dough: Add 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, fontina, or other cheese.
- Pepper Dough: Add 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is for 1 (12-inch) pizza crust.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note