Basic Pizza Crust
To save half of dough for later, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in a zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag in freezer. To thaw, place dough in refrigerator 12 hours or overnight; bring to room temperature, and shape as desired.
This recipe goes with Malaysian Chicken Pizza
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 53 Minutes
- Calories: 751
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 154g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 9.4mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 13 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in water in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Weigh or lightly spoon 12.15 ounces flour (about 2 ¾ cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour, salt, and olive oil to yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining 1.13 ounces flour (about ¼ cup), 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- 3. Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat. Cover dough with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- 4. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on 2 (12-inch) pizza pans or baking sheets each coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with 1/2 tablespoon cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 30 minutes.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note