Basic Pizza Crust
To save half of dough for later, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in a zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag in freezer. To thaw, place dough in refrigerator 12 hours or overnight; bring to room temperature, and shape as desired.
This recipe goes with Malaysian Chicken Pizza
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 53 Minutes
- Calories: 751
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 154g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 9.4mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 13 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in water in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Weigh or lightly spoon 12.15 ounces flour (about 2 ¾ cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour, salt, and olive oil to yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining 1.13 ounces flour (about ¼ cup), 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- 3. Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat. Cover dough with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- 4. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on 2 (12-inch) pizza pans or baking sheets each coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with 1/2 tablespoon cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 30 minutes.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This