- 3 cups chopped yellow onions (about 3 medium)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 teaspoons freshly ground Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free vegetable broth
- 3 (28-oz.) cans no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
How to Make It
Sauté onions in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients; sauté 1 minute. Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds. Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 55 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Note: We tested with McCormick Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder (set on medium) and Dei Fratelli Crushed Tomatoes.