Basic low-salt chicken stock
Makes about 6 cups of broth. TIP: A rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is perfect for this recipe. Use the leftover meat for chicken noodle soup.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) chicken carcass with some meat left on the bones
- 1 whole(s) large onion quartered
- 3 whole(s) garlic cloves halved
- 3 stalk(s) celery with leaves cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 whole(s) carrot cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 whole(s) cloves
- 6 whole(s) peppercorns
- 1 bunch(es) garni bouquet (fresh parsley, sage, thyme) tied with kitchen string or in cheesecloth
- 9 cup(s) cold water or enough to cover ingredients
- Place chicken pieces, onion, celery, carrot, cloves, peppercorns and herb bouquet in large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add 9 cups water (or enough to cover all ingedients). Heat on medium high till tiny bubbles appear at surface.
- Turn down to low and simmer for 2 hours or until liquid is reduced by 1/3. While simmering it is ok if there is no bubbling of the broth.
- Remove chicken and vegetables and strain liquid through fine mesh sieve.
- Skim any fat surface (can be helpful to put into refrigerator, once chilled the fat will congeal at the top and can be easily removed).
- Store broth in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cred222 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note