These are flippin great pancakes! (Get it?) I didn't have buttermilk because who ever does? So I added a Tbsp of lemon juice to 1c whole milk. Pancakes were light & airy almost crepe like and easy to make without oil in a small non stick saute pan. I added some chocolate chips resulting in total blissfulness! This recipe turned out better this time than last I think because I used new baking powder. Sure enough my previous can was expired. I think letting the pancake mixture rest 10 min gives the baking powder time to activate which is important to the recipe.
Basic Buttermilk Pancakes
Charles E. Walton IV
Prep: 10 minutes, Stand: 10 minutes, Cook: 6 minutes per batch.
Yield: Makes about 10 pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, milk, egg, and butter in a separate bowl; add to flour mixture, and whisk just until blended. Transfer to a large measuring cup, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or nonstick pan. Cook until pancakes are covered with bubbles and edges turn brown. Turn and cook other side 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Fresh Berry Buttermilk Pancakes: Add 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or strawberries to batter, and fold in gently. (Raspberries and blackberries tend to break down and produce very wet pancakes.) Note: Frozen berries are picked when ripe and hold up wonderfully if you're craving berry pancakes out of season.
- Apple-Walnut Buttermilk Pancakes: Add 1 peeled and sliced firm apple (such as Granny Smith), 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to batter.
- Orange-Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes: Add 1 tablespoon grated orange zest and 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips to batter. Serve with your favorite maple syrup. Garnish with more zest and chocolate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This