Really tasty with a moist, tender interior and a deliciously crisp crust, but I agree the sugar is a little too high. Next time I will try 2 T. instead of three. I used asiago cheese and a Hawaiian wheat ale.
Basic Beer-Cheese Bread
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr, Jan Gautro, Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 144
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 257mg
- Calcium: 89mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 13.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager-style beer (such as Budweiser)
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture. Add onion mixture, cheese, and beer to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- 4. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until deep golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Apple-Cheddar Beer Bread: Substitute 1/2 cup minced shallots for onion. Place 1/2 cup shredded peeled Gala apple in paper towels; squeeze until barely moist. Cook shallots and apple in oil over medium heat for 7 minutes. Substitute 1 cup shredded extrasharp white cheddar cheese for Monterey Jack. Substitute 1 (12-ounce) bottle hard cider for lager. Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
- CALORIES 151 (27% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.5g, mono 1.6g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 4.4g; CARB 21.9g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 11mg; IRON 1.3mg; SODIUM 265mg; CALC 87mg
- Manchego-Jalapeño Beer Bread: Substitute 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions and 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeño pepper for onion; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Substitute 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Manchego cheese for Monterey Jack cheese. Substitute 1 (12-ounce) bottle Mexican beer (such as Dos Equis) for lager-style beer. Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice).
- CALORIES 148 (28% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.4g, mono 1.7g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 4.7g; CARB 20.6g; FIBER 0.7g; CHOL 12mg; IRON 1.3mg; SODIUM 244mg; CALC 108mg
- Sopressata-Asiago Beer Bread: Substitute 1/2 cup minced shallots and 2 tablespoons chopped green onions for onion. Substitute 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese for Monterey Jack cheese. Substitute 1 (12-ounce) bottle Italian lager beer (such as Peroni) for lager-style beer. Stir 2 ounces finely chopped Sopressata salami into batter. Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice).
- CALORIES 154 (29% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 2.4g, mono 2g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 5g; CARB 21.2g; FIBER 0.7g; CHOL 11mg; IRON 1.4mg; SODIUM 301mg; CALC 89mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Basic Beer-Cheese Bread Recipe at a Glance