Barnum Bratwurst Bread with Choucroute Tumble
Yield: Makes 16 servings
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 110°)
- 6 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Grilled bratwurst or chorizo
- Choucroute Tumble
- Combine yeast, sugar, and water in bowl of an electric stand mixer; let stand 5 minutes. Add 3 cups flour and next 3 ingredients to bowl, and beat at low speed, using dough hook attachment, 2 minutes. Gradually add more flour until dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl and pull together.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding flour as necessary. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down, and let stand 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Cut each piece of dough evenly into 4 pieces; shape each piece into ovals. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 10 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with grilled bratwurst and Choucroute Tumble.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note