- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 8 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 148
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 2.7 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- monofat 1.1 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 6.8 g
- carbohydrate 23.5 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- cholesterol 3 mg
- iron 2.9 mg
- sodium 225 mg
- calcium 78 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, rosemary, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in barley and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
Add spinach, cheese, and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring frequently.
For baby: Omit black pepper. Serve the barley mixture in a small bowl. Cut the mushrooms and spinach into bite-sized pieces, if needed.