Barley, Vegetable, and Fruit Medley
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 199
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36.4g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 1.1mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 133mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen vegetable seasoning blend, thawed*
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup diced dried mixed fruit
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Bring 2 cups chicken broth, pepper, and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in barley, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove pan from heat.
- Sauté vegetable blend in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Stir in cooked barley, dried mixed fruit, and remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth. Sprinkle evenly with chopped toasted pecans, and serve immediately.
- *1 onion, chopped; half each of a green and red bell pepper, chopped; and 1 celery rib, chopped may be substituted.
- Note: Vegetable seasoning blend contains chopped red and green bell peppers, onions, and celery and is found in the frozen foods section. For testing purposes only, we used SunMaid FruitBits for dried mixed fruit.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables