- 1 large head green cabbage, cored
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 cups cooked pearl barley
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- calories 479
- fat 13.5 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- monofat 4.7 g
- polyfat 2.4 g
- protein 14.4 g
- carbohydrate 83.2 g
- fiber 16.8 g
- cholesterol 25 mg
- iron 5.7 mg
- sodium 661 mg
- calcium 347 mg
How to Make It
Steam cabbage head 8 minutes; cool slightly. Remove 16 leaves from cabbage head; discard remaining cabbage. Cut off raised portion of the center vein of each cabbage leaf (do not cut out vein); set trimmed cabbage leaves aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cover and cook 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in barley and next 4 ingredients (through parsley). Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Place cabbage leaves on a flat surface; spoon about 1/3 cup barley mixture into center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in edges of leaves over barley mixture; roll up. Arrange cabbage rolls in bottom of a 5-quart electric slow cooker.
Combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, apple juice, vinegar, and tomatoes; pour evenly over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on high 2 hours or until thoroughly heated.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012