- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or diced canned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp (shelled and cleaned)
How to Make It
In a medium-size saucepan with a lid, bring 2 cups of the broth to a boil. Add the barley; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet with a cover, sauté the celery, pepper, onion, and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until soft. Add the tomatoes, the remaining broth, and the seasonings; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
Add the shrimp; simmer, covered, for another 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through (pink and opaque) and the sauce has thickened. Serve over the barley.
How kids can help: Measure the ingredients.