Barley Salad with Asparagus and Arugula
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 27.6g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus spears
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups trimmed arugula or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup (2 1/4 ounces) small diced smoked part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Snap off tough ends of asparagus; discard. Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- 2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a large nonstick skillet. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute or until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.
- 3. Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- 4. While barley cooks, combine olive oil and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- 5. Drain barley. Rinse under cold water; drain. Combine asparagus, barley, arugula, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note