- 1/2 pound thin asparagus spears
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups trimmed arugula or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup (2 1/4 ounces) small diced smoked part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 200
- fat 7.7 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- protein 7.9 g
- carbohydrate 27.6 g
- fiber 6.5 g
- cholesterol 6 mg
- iron 1.9 mg
- sodium 290 mg
- calcium 106 mg
How to Make It
Snap off tough ends of asparagus; discard. Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a large nonstick skillet. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute or until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.
Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
While barley cooks, combine olive oil and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
Drain barley. Rinse under cold water; drain. Combine asparagus, barley, arugula, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.