Check out this high-fiber barley-vegetable mix; it's a great side for grilled seafood or chicken. Increase the serving size to 1 1/2 cups for an excellent meatless main-dish salad.
1. Snap off tough ends of asparagus; discard. Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a large nonstick skillet. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute or until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.
3. Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
4. While barley cooks, combine olive oil and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
5. Drain barley. Rinse under cold water; drain. Combine asparagus, barley, arugula, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.