I changed the recipe, I added more garlic with the onion and I used sweet potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips and carrots. I roasted those as the directions said and I used toasted almonds, combination of parm and asiago cheese. I served this as the main dish and the kids loved it and found it very filling on it's own.
Barley Risotto with Roasted Winter Vegetables
Barley makes a tasty stand-in for rice in this hearty, fiber-rich risotto. All you need to complete the meal is a salad and glass of white wine.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup risotto, about 1 tablespoon cheese, about 1 tablespoon nuts, and 1 teaspoon parsley)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 325
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 10.3g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 566mg
- Calcium: 197mg
- 2 cups diced parsnip
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine parsnip, cauliflower, bell pepper, 2 teaspoons olive oil, black pepper, and salt on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray, and toss well to coat. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Add 3 cups broth and barley; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is al dente. Add the remaining 1 cup broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next. Stir in parsnip mixture and 1/3 cup cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese, pecans, and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes