Nice! I used Pearl Barley and it turned out tasty, easy & healthy. I didn't use salt, only pepper.
Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Parmesan
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 477
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 648mg
- Carbohydrate: 71g
- Fiber: 16g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 15g
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more. Add the asparagus with the last 1/2 cup of broth and cook until tender. It should take 30 to 35 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed. Remove from heat, season with the salt and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.
Tip: At the store, look for thick or thin asparagus with firm stalks, closed tips, and a bright green color.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes