Barley Risotto Primavera
More From Health
Total: 35 Minutes
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 50g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodium: 620mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups cooked quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 small zucchini, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot and onion, and cook 45 minutes until onion begins to brown. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium; stir in barley and white wine (if using) or 1/2 cup broth; cook 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Add zucchini, bell peppers, and 3/4 cup broth; cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining 3/4 cup broth; cook until vegetables are tender and most of liquid has been absorbed. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 3. Stir in peas; remove from heat. Let stand 12 minutes or until peas are thawed but still bright green. Stir in Parmesan cheese just before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note