Barley-Pine Nut Salad
This recipe or the brown rice version makes a chewy, nutty light meal. Extra virgin olive oil and toasted pine nuts give this dish rich flavor.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 2.8mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 522mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 3/4 cup chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan; stir in barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine cooked barley, roasted red bell peppers, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together lemon juice and next 4 ingredients. Drizzle over barley mixture, tossing to coat. Sprinkle evenly with toasted pine nuts and crumbled feta cheese; serve immediately.
- Brown Rice-Pine Nut Salad: Substitute 1 cup brown rice for barley. Increase broth to 2 1/4 cups, and increase cooking time to 45 minutes. Proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note