- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 3/4 cup chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- calories 208
- caloriesfromfat 35 %
- fat 8.3 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- monofat 4.6 g
- polyfat 1.8 g
- protein 5.4 g
- carbohydrate 29 g
- fiber 2.8 g
- cholesterol 2.8 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 522 mg
- calcium 41 mg
How to Make It
Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan; stir in barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Drain well.
Combine cooked barley, roasted red bell peppers, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
Whisk together lemon juice and next 4 ingredients. Drizzle over barley mixture, tossing to coat. Sprinkle evenly with toasted pine nuts and crumbled feta cheese; serve immediately.
Brown Rice-Pine Nut Salad: Substitute 1 cup brown rice for barley. Increase broth to 2 1/4 cups, and increase cooking time to 45 minutes. Proceed as directed.