I gave it a 3 because while I do love all the ingredients that the recipe required it did not turn out as great...the barley had no flavor whatsoever. But it could have been because i did not use the porcini mushrooms and i cut the ingredients in half so it would yield 2 servings, but i did not cut the barley in half just used 3/4 of a cup...So maybe my mistake could have messed it up but still...it should've had at least some flavor to it..
Barley Pilaf with Sautéed Mushrooms
The button mushrooms should be cooked in a cast-iron or heavy skillet instead of a nonstick skillet because you need high heat to get a nice browning. You could also use this hearty side dish as a filling for stuffed cabbage.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 51.7g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 338mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups chopped button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- Combine the dried porcini mushrooms and boiling water in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve over a bowl, reserving mushroom liquid. Finely chop porcini mushrooms; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over high heat. Add chopped button mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Add porcini mushrooms, wine, pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large sauce-pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Add reserved mushroom liquid, 2 1/4 cups water, porcini mixture, barley, and salt, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until barley is tender. Fluff with a fork; stir in parsley.
- Carefully melt butter in a cast-iron or heavy skillet over high heat. Add the sliced button mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes or until browned. Top the pilaf with sautéed mushrooms.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note