Barley and shiitake mushrooms add a nutty flavor to this high-fiber take on rice pilaf.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 182
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 353mg
- Calcium: 150mg
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 (3 1/2-ounce) packages fresh shiitake mushrooms
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated dry Monterey Jack or fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms, and slice mushroom caps. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cover and cook 6 minutes. Add bell peppers; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley, mushrooms, broth, and next 4 ingredients (broth through black pepper).
- Spoon half of barley mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note