- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 (3 1/2-ounce) packages fresh shiitake mushrooms
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated dry Monterey Jack or fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 182
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 5.2 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 8.1 g
- carbohydrate 27.5 g
- fiber 5.9 g
- cholesterol 7 mg
- iron 1.9 mg
- sodium 353 mg
- calcium 150 mg
How to Make It
Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove and discard stems from mushrooms, and slice mushroom caps. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cover and cook 6 minutes. Add bell peppers; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley, mushrooms, broth, and next 4 ingredients (broth through black pepper).
Spoon half of barley mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.