This dish was fabulous! I substituted apple juice for the white wine and used fat free, low sodium chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth. I also cut the dish in half, since I was making it for just my boyfriend and me. I did not experience the same problems with cooking off the liquid that other reviewers had. I actually did not even need to cook the barley the entire 30 minutes - it softened and the liquid boiled off within 10-15 minutes. Maybe if I had made the full recipe I would have needed the entire 30 minutes. The combination of flavors was outstanding. I will definitely add this to my recipe rotation.
Barley, Butternut Squash, and Shiitake Risotto
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 339
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 9.3g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 745mg
- Calcium: 150mg
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces Taleggio cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Combine squash, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss well to coat. Arrange squash mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes, stirring once.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl; keep warm.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add onion; saut´´ 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add barley and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed. Add broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is nearly absorbed. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in squash, mushrooms, and thyme. Serve immediately.
- Wine note: The 2008 J Lohr Riverstone Chardonnay (California, $15) is a buttery, beautiful partner for this creamy-textured risotto. Tropical fruit notes, ripe pear, melon, and vanilla aromas combine for a wine that will embrace the rich flavors in this dish. --Natalia MacLean
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes