Made exactly as written. My hubby particularly liked it and it pureed well for my infant.
Barley and Black Bean Salad
For an extra kick, substitute 1 finely chopped poblano chile pepper for the green bell pepper, and add the ground red pepper.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Carbohydrate: 53.5g
- Fiber: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 874mg
- Calcium: 156mg
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain barley in a colander, and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
- Combine black beans, next 6 ingredients, and, if desired, cilantro and red pepper in a medium bowl. Add barley to black bean mixture; toss gently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note