1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. While vegetables cook, heat roast beef according to package directions; drain, discarding drippings. Chop beef into 1-inch pieces.
3. Stir garlic into vegetables; cook 30 seconds. Stir in beef, barley, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Young Chefs can:
- Identify and locate vegetables
- Measure chopped carrot and celery
Older Chefs can:
- Help measure uncooked barley, water, and tomato puree
- Add barley, broth, and water with adult supervision
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.