Barley & Bean Vegetable Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 medium to large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced
- 4 cup(s) beef broth
- 1 packet (6g) GOYA ham flavoring in 3 cups hot water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 2 cup(s) pearled barley: soaked, boiled, drained
- 1 can(s) (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 ounce(s) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- salt, fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) each: dried thyme, oregano, and chevril
- Melt a half stick of butter in a stock pot over low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sautee over medium heat until golden, around 5 to 8 minutes.
- Keep the lid on the pot except when stirring...
- Add the carrots, roughly another 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, 2 to 4 more minutes.
- When everything seems cooked down and soft...
- Add 4 cups of beef broth (or a fairly strong vegetable broth) and 3 bay leaves.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the pre-soaked & pre-boiled barley (raw barley will simply take longer and require more broth as it will absorb some of it).
- Add the 3 cups of GOYA ham flavored concentrate.
- Add the 3 ounces of tomato paste and mix.
- Add a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Mix.
- Add the drained and rinsed can of kidney beans.
- Add the salt, pepper, and herbs. Adjust as needed.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a strong simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Remove the Bay leaves. Serve with a garnish of chopped celery leaves, Italian parsley, or cilantro.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by NeroFiddled and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Barley & Bean Vegetable Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews