I loved these! The sauce is quite good. These also work well in hot dog buns.
Barbecued Tempeh Sandwiches Smothered with Peppers and Onions
Tempeh is a soybean cake with a slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with the sweet and spicy barbecue sauce. You can prepare the sauce and slice the vegetables and tempeh ahead of time.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 309
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Protein: 15.6g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 531mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in half
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Cut tempeh in half lengthwise; cut slices in half. Brush tempeh slices, bell peppers, and onion with the ketchup mixture. Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until the tempeh is thoroughly heated. Remove the tempeh, bell peppers, and onion from grill. Cut bell peppers into 1/2-inch-wide strips; separate onions into rings.
- Place 1 tempeh slice on bottom half of each bun. Top each tempeh slice with one-fourth of bell peppers, one-fourth of onion, and top half of bun.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note