- 1 (4- to 5-pound) boneless pot roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 new potatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into strips
How to Make It
Brown roast on both sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
Combine salt, pepper, and tomato sauce; pour over roast, and cook over low heat, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Combine next 6 ingredients; pour over roast. Cook over low heat, covered, 1 hour or until tender.
Pare 1-inch strip around center of potatoes. Add potatoes and carrots during last 30 minutes of cooking time. Transfer roast to serving platter, and serve with vegetables.