Barbecued Lamb with Cilantro
Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, marinate lamb.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 47g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 895mg
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 leg of lamb (6 lb.), boned, butterflied, and fat-trimmed
- Cilantro sprigs
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, mix wine, soy sauce, oil, garlic, chopped cilantro, and bay leaves. Spread lamb open in the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and chill, turning meat occasionally, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- 2. Lift lamb from marinade (reserve marinade) and lay flat (open) on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds). Close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning as needed to brown meat evenly, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part is 135° to 140° for rare, 30 to 45 minutes; thin portions will be well-done. Brush meat occasionally with marinade up until the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- 3. Transfer meat to a platter, keep warm, and let rest 5 to 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Thinly slice meat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note