- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 pitted prunes
How to Make It
Dredge lamb shanks in flour, coating well. Sauté shanks in shortening in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain shanks on paper towels.
Place shanks in a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Combine sugar, water, vinegar, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, onion, raisins, and prunes; mix well. Pour sauce mixture over shanks. Cover and bake at 300° for 2 hours or until shanks are tender.