- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (15-ounce)can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 pounds boneless country-style ribs, cut apart*
How to Make It
Sauté onion and celery in hot bacon drippings in a saucepan over medium-high heat until tender. Add tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Remove heat.
Combine 1 cup water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
Grill ribs, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300º to 350º) 1 to 1 1/2 hours, spraying with vinegar solution and turning ribs occasionally, and basting with 1 cup tomato sauce mixture every 30 minutes. Serve with remaining tomato sauce mixture.
*4 pounds bone in country-style pork ribs may be substituted.