Barbecued Brisket Of Beef
- 1 (3-pound) beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/2 cup tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- Brown brisket on both sides in a large Dutch oven, browning fat side first. Add salt, pepper, hot sauce, if desired, and water. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Do not drain.
- Sauté chopped onion in shortening in a large skillet until tender. Stir in catsup, tomato soup, lemon juice, and brown sugar, mixing well.
- Pour mixture over brisket in Dutch oven. Cover and simmer an additional 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer brisket to a warm platter; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce remaining in Dutch oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note