Barbecued Brisket Of Beef
- 1 (3-pound) beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/2 cup tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- Brown brisket on both sides in a large Dutch oven, browning fat side first. Add salt, pepper, hot sauce, if desired, and water. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Do not drain.
- Sauté chopped onion in shortening in a large skillet until tender. Stir in catsup, tomato soup, lemon juice, and brown sugar, mixing well.
- Pour mixture over brisket in Dutch oven. Cover and simmer an additional 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer brisket to a warm platter; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce remaining in Dutch oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This