- 2 (14-oz.) cans young jackfruit in brine, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded green cabbage (from 1 small head)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded red cabbage (from 1 small head)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot (from 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions (about 2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
How to Make It
Rinse jackfruit under cold running water; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add jackfruit, and stir to break up fruit. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add barbecue sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Toss together green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, and scallions in a medium bowl. Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; drizzle over cabbage mixture, and toss until coated. Divide jackfruit mixture among bottoms of buns; top with slaw, and cover with tops of buns.