- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 qt. milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound pasta (such as penne, cavatappi, or rotini)
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pulled pork barbecue (without sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
How to Make It
Preheat broiler with oven rack 8 to 9 inches from heat.
Bring 1/4 cup salt and 4 qt. water to a boil in a large covered Dutch oven over high heat.
Meanwhile, microwave milk in a microwave-safe 1-qt. glass measuring cup covered with plastic wrap at HIGH 3 minutes. While milk is heating, melt butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a low boil, whisking often.
Add pasta to boiling water, and cook 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, continue to cook sauce, whisking often, 6 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in cheeses, hot sauce, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cover.
Stir together cornbread and olive oil.
Drain pasta, and fold into cheese sauce. Stir in pulled pork barbecue. Sprinkle with cornbread mixture; sprinkle green onions over cornbread mixture.
Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Serve immediately.