Delicious and easy recipe, will definitely make this again! Pickled onions were a great topper. I definitely agree with other reviewers that there was not enough sauce. Next time I will double the amount of sauce as well as the number of pickled onions. Used Hawaiian rolls as buns as they were oh so good!
Barbecue Chicken Sliders with Pickled Onions
Shredded, grilled chicken thighs are dipped in Carolina-style barbecue sauce, a vinegar-based mix with mustard, a little honey, seasonings, and butter.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 sliders)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 429
- Fat: 18.4g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 32.1g
- Carbohydrate: 31.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 569mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 8 (1.5-ounce) pull-apart dinner rolls (such as Sara Lee)
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Combine sliced onion, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons honey in a small bowl; toss well. Cover and refrigerate onion mixture at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons water, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Simmer 5 minutes; stir in butter. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- 4. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. Place on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from grill; cool slightly. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to saucepan with mustard mixture, and toss gently to coat.
- 5. Cut rolls in half crosswise. Place rolls, cut sides down, on grill; grill 1 minute or until toasted. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture over bottom half of each roll. Top each roll with about 1 teaspoon drained onion slices and top half of roll. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches