- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup apricot jam or preserves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- calories 738
- caloriesfromfat 56 %
- fat 46 g
- satfat 13 g
- cholesterol 207 mg
- sodium 1398 mg
- carbohydrate 28 g
- fiber 2 g
- sugars 16 g
- protein 53 g
How to Make It
Heat oven to 400° F.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, jam, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Arrange the pieces in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Roast, spooning the sauce over the chicken once, until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour.
Tip: Tired of chicken? Try spooning this tangy, tomatoey barbecue sauce over pork chops, shrimp, or salmon.