This was very good, although the presentation wasn't very good. Next time, I might try doing something differently with the arrangement of the bananas. The color isn't very so attractive, either. But, it smelled delicious when I took it out of the oven. It made me think of Christmas.
Bananas Foster Upside-Down Cake
Try this cake version of the famous New Orleans dessert. For the younger crowd, omit the crème de cacao and rum.
More From Oxmoor House
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons crème de cacao
- 1/3 cup rum
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Place butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan; place in a 350° oven for 5 minutes or just until melted. Remove from oven, and coat pan with cooking spray. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, stirring well. Spread mixture in pan.
- Cut 3 bananas diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices on brown sugar mixture in 4 lengthwise rows; cover and set aside.
- Combine mashed banana and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; add to mashed banana mixture, beating on low speed just until blended. Pour batter evenly over sliced banana in pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 2 minutes; loosen cake from sides of pan with knife, and invert onto a large rectangular serving platter.
- Drizzle crème de cacao over cake. Heat rum in a small saucepan just until simmering; ignite with a long match. Spoon rum over cake with a long-handled spoon. Serve warm cake with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This