This made an incredible and fun birthday cake. I made as 3 layers instead of the bundt cake suggested and used a chocolate-marshmellow frosting between the layers and outside. It was really excellent!
Banana Split Cake
Photo: Charles Walton
Make a cake version of a banana split by stirring chopped pineapple, banana, and maraschino cherries into the cake batter and topping the cake with a sweet cream cheese frosting.
Yield: 1 (10-inch) cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups mashed banana (5 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (16-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Garnishes: toasted flaked coconut, long-stemmed maraschino cherries, grated milk chocolate, chopped pecans, hot fudge sauce
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Add oil mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in banana and next 3 ingredients.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Gently press pineapple and maraschino cherries between layers of paper towels. Chop cherries. Stir pineapple and cherries into banana mixture. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in reserved pineapple juice. Pour over cake; garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note