Extremely delighted with the way the cake has turned out. The kids and myself had a blast making this over the weekend. It came out perfectly and everybody devoured it the same day. Sure can make this fast. We also put in raisins and it came out tops.
Banana Snack Cake with Brown-Butter Icing
Photo: Antonis Achilleos; Styling: Gerri Williams for James Reps
More From Allyou
Bake: 45 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 430
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 66g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Sodium: 342mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 4)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F; butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl whisk buttermilk, bananas and vanilla.
- 2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl; beat again. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture in thirds, alternating with half of banana mixture, until batter is smooth. Spread batter in pan.
- 3. Bake cake until golden and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes, rotating halfway through. (Tent pan with foil if cake is browning too quickly.) Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 4. Make icing: In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter, swirling occasionally, until it has stopped foaming and milk solids in bottom of pan have turned golden brown and smell nutty, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, cream, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- 5. Run a knife around inside edge of pan; release cake ring. Spread icing on top; serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note