I have made this recipe many times. It is, by far, one of the best desserts I have ever made. It is important to note that this recipe takes time and effort. If you're not willing to put in the time, don't bother. When making the custard, you truly have to heat the ingredients on MEDIUM and stir CONSTANTLY. It takes about 15-20 minutes for it to thicken. I also take the time to carefully layer everything which makes a beautiful presentation. I make this banana pudding year round for various occasions. People always rave about it. The whiskey, rum, and toffee add a little something extra that makes it unforgettable.
Banana Pudding Trifle
This classic English layered pudding dessert goes Southern with banana pudding and bourbon-soaked vanilla wafers.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 6 ripe bananas, sliced
- 6 (1.4-ounce) English toffee candy bars, crushed
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients ina large heavy saucepan; whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove mixture from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in vanilla.
- Layer one-third of wafers in the bottom of a 4-quart baking dish. Stir together bourbon and rum; brush over wafers. Top with one-third of banana. Spoon one-third of custard over banana, and sprinkle with 1/3 cup crushed candy bar. Repeat procedure twice.
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over trifle, and sprinkle with remaining crushed candy bar. Cover and chill 3 hours.
- Note: We used Skor candy bars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts