Banana Pudding Ice Cream
More From Southern Living
Total: 9 Hours, 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Calcium: 112mg
- 3 medium-size ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup granular sweetener for ice cream*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed vanilla wafers
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Peel bananas, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place in a 2-qt. baking dish, and sprinkle with light brown sugar and butter. Bake 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let cool 30 minutes. Gently mash into chunks.
- 2. Whisk together granular sweetener, cornstarch, and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- 3. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla.
- 4. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture; chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 5. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions; stir in bananas and crushed vanilla wafers halfway through freezing. Let stand at room temperature 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- *Granulated sugar may be substituted.
- Note: We tested with Whey Low 100% All Natural Granular Sweetener for Ice Cream. Get 20% off any time you order from wheylow.com. Coupon code: SouthrnLvg
Total time does not include freezing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note