That was a outstanding and easy recipe I received lots of compliments.
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
2 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 (12-oz.) package vanilla wafers
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar*
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1. Prepare Pudding: Preheat oven to 325°. Arrange one-third of vanilla wafers in a medium-size ovenproof bowl (about 2 qt.); cover with one-third of banana slices. Repeat layers twice with remaining vanilla wafers and bananas.
- 2. Whisk together milk and next 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until pudding-like thickness. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour over vanilla wafers and bananas in bowl.
- 3. Prepare Meringue: Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of bowl.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately, or let cool completely (about 30 minutes), and cover and chill 1 hour before serving.
- **1/2 cup no-calorie sweetener may be substituted. We tested with Splenda No-calorie Granulated Sweetener. (Do not substitute sweetener in meringue.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Banana Pudding Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts